Navaratri is a festival that lasts nine days and nine nights.Is one of the greatest Hindu festivals. It symbolises the triumph of good over evil.
The word "Navaratri" actually means nine (Nava) nights (rathri).The first three days of Navaratri are devoted to worship of Maa Durga (Warrior Goddess) ,Next three days are dedicated to Maa Lakshmi, the (Goddess of Wealth and Prosperity) and finally, last three are dedicated to Maa Saraswathi, the (Goddess of Knowledge).In some communities, people undergo rigorous fasts during this season that lasts for the nine days of Navaratri. The festival culminates on Vijayadasami (Mahanavami).
When thought about Navarathri,sundal always offering to goddess as a prasadam.Sundal is a dry snack made with pulses and legumes which is low in fat, high in proteins ,very healthy and also filling.All time favored tea time snack too
- Chickpeas - 1 cups
- Onion - 1 Chopped
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dhal - 2 tsp
- Green chillies - 2
- Mor milagai(Curd chillies) -4 (Adjust according to your preference)
- Coconut (grated) -2tbsp
- Curry leaves - 5-8
- Salt - according to taste
- Asafoetida - a pinch
1. Wash and soak the chickpeas overnight. Then pressure cook them for 2 whistles. You can also use canned chickpeas.I used canned chickpeas because lack of time.
2. Add the oil to a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dhal and once they start turning light brown, add the curd chillies,green chillies and onion.
3. Saute for around 30 seconds till the curd chillies turn golden colour.
4. Add the curry leaves and asafoetida. Saute around 1 minute.
5. Add the chickpeas and salt and mix everything. Let this cook for 1 minute. Since the chickpeas have already been cooked, we only need to wait till everything is mixed well.
6. Add the coconut and saute for 2 minutes.
7. Adjust for taste and we are done.
8. Chickpea sundal is ready to be served.