Sunday, 10 October 2010
Navarathri Special ~ Payatham paruppu payasam (Moong Dal Kheer)
When to London Sri Murugan Temple on 3rd week of Puradachi sani,they was offering Payatham paruppu payasam to devotees.It was really yummylious with hint of camphor.I discovered a new dish...Oophs I remembered that I had this payatham paruppu payasam before at Malaysian Hindu Weddings but they use whole green moong dal.Hmm.. Anyhow I got an idea to make a prasadam on this festive time.
Split Moong dal/Pasi paruppu ~ 1 cup
Sago (Javarisi) ~ 1/4 cup
Milk ~ 1/2 cup
Powdered Jaggery ~ (as per your taste)
Raisins and cashews ~ 15 each
Cardamom ~ 2
Ghee ~ ½ tea spoon
1.Dry roast moong dal till golden brown or till you get sense of the aroma
2. Pressure cook moong dal to soft consistency.
3. Wash the sago and add into moong dal and cook until sago cooked well done.
4. Add the jaggery, bring to boil and keep for 2 minutes.
5. Add cardamom powder, milk and keep it for few seconds; adjust consistency as per your requirement
6.Fry the raisins and cashews and add it finally .
7. The mouth watering Pasi paruppu payasam is ready to serve.